LanguageTool is a proofreading software. It works by sending the text to be checked to our servers over an
encrypted connection. This policy describes what kind of data we store.
- We don't store the text that you submit for style and grammar checking on languagetool.org, with the following exceptions:
- If you explicitly submit feedback, for example about false alarms or undetected errors, we store that feedback.
- If you accept or explicitly ignore corrections or open examples for an error, we log the internal rule id of that error
(this is something like ENGLISH_WORD_REPEAT_RULE for word repetition errors)
- In case of an internal software error, we log the sentence that caused the error so we can reproduce and fix the error.
This is extremely rare and even then, we don't store that sentence with your
IP address or any other meta information that would allow us to identify you.
- To improve our proofreading service, we keep a log of the following information:
This is an example of a log entry that LanguageTool generates on our server:
- date and time, length of submitted text, text language, processing time on server, number of detected errors (but not the actual errors),
- the page on which you submitted the request (referrer),
- internal errors that occur (e.g. the browser add-on not being able to access the text to be checked),
- the number of times you used the browser add-on (only transferred when you uninstall the add-on)
2014-02-24 12:10:24 Check done: 793 chars, en-US, https://languagetool.org/, handlers:1, 3 matches, 132ms, sent
- In our web server log files, your IP address is stored in an abbreviated form (like 192.168.xxx.xxx)
so it cannot be used to identify you. Error messages like for exceeding the query limit are stored with the
full IP so we can prevent abuse.
- If you subscribe to our newsletter, your email address will be stored
at our newsletter provider (newsletter2go.com)
- If you don't want any information to be transferred, download the stand-alone version from
our homepage. It works locally without internet access and thus doesn't transfer any data.
For accesses from web browsers and browser add-ons, this website uses Piwik for web analytics. We're shortening your
IP address (to a form like 192.168.xxx.xxx) to protect your privacy. If you don't want your
visit to be recorded at all by Piwik, you can opt out here:
Change log of this page