LanguageTool is a proofreading software. It works by sending the text to be checked to our servers over an encrypted connection. This policy describes what kind of data we store.
The processing of personal data on this website is carried out in accordance with the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the German Federal Data Protection Act, Bundesdatenschutzgesetz (BDSG 2018).
Note: If you don't want any information to be transferred, download the desktop version from our homepage. It works locally without internet access and thus doesn't transfer any data.
Have you given us permission to use your data, e.g. by subscribing to the newsletter? You can revoke this permission at any time as described below.
- We don't store the text that you submit for style and grammar checking on languagetool.org, with the following exceptions:
- If you explicitly submit feedback, for example about false alarms or undetected errors, we store that feedback.
- If you accept or explicitly ignore corrections or open examples for an error, we log the internal rule id of that error (this is something like ENGLISH_WORD_REPEAT_RULE for word repetition errors).
- If you accept a correction of a spelling error, we log the original word and the correction you selected.
- In case of an internal software error (which is extremely rare), we log the sentence that caused the error so we can reproduce and fix the error.
- To improve our proofreading service, we keep a log of the following information:
- date and time, length of submitted text, text language, processing time on server, number of detected errors (but not the actual errors unless you have agreed to that),
- the page on which you submitted the request (referrer),
- internal errors that occur (e.g. the browser add-on not being able to access the text to be checked),
- the number of times you used the browser add-on (only transferred when you uninstall the add-on)
- In our web server log files, your IP address is stored in an abbreviated form (like 192.168.xxx.xxx) so it cannot be used to identify you. Error messages like for exceeding the query limit are stored with the full IP for up to 48 hours so we can prevent misuse of the service.
Most browsers are configured to accept cookies. However, you can change your browser settings to configure your browser so that cookies are limited or completely blocked. For more information on how to do this, please visit the following websites: youronlinechoices, Network Advertising Initiative and/or Digital Advertising Alliance. You will also find information there about how to delete cookies from your computer and general information about cookies.
For information on how to make these settings on your phone's browser, please refer to your mobile phone's manual.
Below is a list of providers who are authorized to set cookies on our website and information about how to opt out of cookies.
For accesses from web browsers and browser add-ons, this website uses Piwik for web analytics. We're shortening your IP address (to a form like 192.168.xxx.xxx) to protect your privacy. If you don't want your visit to be recorded at all by Piwik, you can opt out here:
- You have the right, upon request and free of charge, to receive information about your personal data we store.
- If you believe that the processing of your personal data is unlawful, you have the right to complain to a regulatory agency.